Ads 468x60px

March 15, 2011

Thwarted by shamrocks.

It seems that Leo & I have missed out on a huge Dallas tradition. The "St. Paddy's Day Dash down Greenville" (aka: giant St. Patrick's Day parade) was held this Saturday morning. And I found out about it the hard way.

First off- let me give you a little background. Awhile back, my older sister, Sarah, sent me the link to the new TOMS Shoes wedding collection. While the wedding is behind us, and I definitely don't need them for any aisle-walking, I immediately fell in love with this particular set:



Now, I've been putting it off, and convincing myself I don't need them. But that all came to an end on Saturday morning. For some reason, I woke up and it hit me. I NEED them. They're unbelievably awesome and it's necessary for them to be on my feet at all times from this point on.

So I hopped in the car and headed toward the mall. I had just enough time to get there, get the shoes, and get to an afternoon baby shower. And just so you know- I NEVER go to the mall on Saturdays. Really, I never go the mall period. But especially not on Saturdays. I'd pretty much rather stick things into my eyeballs than deal with the parking, and the teenagers, and the crowds, and the pushy sales people. (Wow- I'm 80.) But for sparkly silver slip-ons? I was in.

I called my other sister, Becky, during the drive... and as I got further away from home, I started to realize something. There were a lot of people walking along the road. A lot of people wearing green. And then there were even more people. And then there were dogs wearing green beads and sunglasses, and strollers with babies wearing green. And then all of a sudden, there was a cop in front of me (also wearing beads) forcing me to make a U-turn and head back in the opposite direction! Becky got to listen to the expletives as I was directed down random street after random street. THREE TIMES I was turned in the opposite direction by police officers... All the while, hundreds and HUNDREDS of people walking past the car. Half of them carrying alcoholic beverages... What in the world was going on here?? And how did I not know about it?? 

After a couple of dead-ends and multiple "breaking of the speed limit" episodes, I finally made it to the mall. And of course there were ZERO parking spaces. After a good 10 minutes of driving around aimlessly, I finally spotted a prius pulling out. (Oh, Prius- you never let me down.) I sped in, put it in park, and FINALLY walked into the Nordstrom shoe department. I immediately spotted my target, and asked the sales girl for a size 9. So she disappeared to the back for a few minutes, and came back out only to tell me: "I'm sorry. We don't have your size."

Of course you don't.  If only she had been wearing some green beads and a set of shamrock antennae- the day would've been complete.

So long story short: I don't have my shoes yet. But I will. And come next March, Leo and I WILL be attending that crazy festival they call a parade down on Greenville.

2 comments:

Dad said...

Maybe you could order them online?? Maybe even an extra pair in shamrock green so that you could wear them next year in the parade. :)

Sarah said...

Online shopping is the only way to go. Obviously. I have the black sparkly ones! We can sparkle together :)

Post a Comment