Ads 468x60px

November 14, 2013

Pass the tissues.

My name is Laura, and I'm a weeper.

Always have been, always will be. Seriously, people. Any time I experience an overwhelming emotion- frustration, sadness, anger, happiness, loneliness... it comes straight out my eyeballs in the form of tears.


And this trend goes back for decades.

Any time I was in trouble with my parents, or even just having a serious discussion, I would start crying. I wouldn't even know why! But there they were... tears... whether I wanted them or not.

I've cried at every birth I've ever witnessed. And there have been many. Folks I have barely even met! And I'm bawling.

I even cried earlier this year at the courthouse when some very good friends of ours were finalizing the adoption of their beautiful baby girl. Not one other crier in the house, and me, the one NOT adopting a child, is blubbering like a moron.

Any time I hear the Star-Spangled Banner. Tears.

I even cried at a Josh Groban concert one time. He had been on stage for all of five seconds when my family caught me with tears streaming down my face- and they haven't stopped mocking me for it since.

The ugliest cry I ever experienced was on June 22, 2010. I had just finished the worst flight of my entire life and had left my fiancé in Africa without any time frame of when we may be reunited. When the plane touched down in New York, everyone broke into cheers and joyous applause, and I lost it. I wanted to be back in Africa immediately. I'm lucky the flight crew didn't call security.

Grad school has made this crying nature of mine even more impressive. And by impressive, I mean OUT OF CONTROL. Back in the day, Leo used to get all concerned and try to figure out what was wrong. But he's since learned that nothing is really wrong. I'm just so flipping frustrated and overwhelmed and it's best to pat me on the head, walk away, and come back in 10 minutes or so. Crying makes it all better.

I used to go out of my way to hide the tears. It used to be an embarrassment. But hey- I'm an emotional person, and sometimes it just cannot be avoided.

Cry it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment