Ads 468x60px

December 07, 2013

Cleon

In case you haven't heard, Leo and I are currently trapped indoors. Dallas was hit hard by an ice/snow storm on Thursday night, and the temperatures have yet to reach the melting point, so we've spent the time hunkered down, covered in blankets, watching movies, staring at the walls, and drinking plenty of wine and hot cocoa. Hydration comes first, people.

And apparently this storm of ours has a name: Cleon. I have no idea when they started naming winter storms, but there it is. We have Cleon to thank for all of this lovely frozen precipitation. And really? Cleon?? Who's picking these names? It's like they want us to make fun of it.

I'm always highly skeptical when our north Texas weather people predict this stuff. We've been in Dallas for over three years now, and they typically predict a snowpocalypse at least twice a winter. And you know how many times they've gotten it right? Once. So I don't typically rush around, gathering supplies and putting on snow chains. But alas, they got it right a second time. And luckily Leo showed up on Thursday night with three (THREE!) loaves of bread and a gallon of milk. I guess there's always french toast?

So yes. We've been inside for a day and a half. And interestingly, the cold is making us nostalgic for Botswana.

Earlier this week, I spent many hours making the perfect little Africa cookies to sell at a fundraiser for my upcoming trip to Ethiopia.


And that alone got me thinking... I miss Africa so very much, and can't wait to get back this coming March. I get excited anytime I get to use my Africa cookie cutter! And Leo enjoys eating the results. And then it gets us telling stories and remembering where and when we first met.


Believe it or not, southern Africa gets COLD. Freakishly cold. During the winter months, it was very typical for me to walk to work with frost on the ground and maybe even a frozen puddle or two. And this became especially fun due to the fact that I had no heat in my very poorly sealed home. It was absolutely normal for me to go to bed dressed in my warmest possible clothing (including hiking socks), zip up inside my down sleeping bag, pull up my flannel sheets and top it off with a ski cap, a thick blanket, and a comforter. And I'd wake up watching my steamy breath while my nose was running. It. Was. COLD.

Strangely enough, I can't seem to find any pictures of these cold Lobatse mornings... Probably because my fingers were too cold to work the camera anyway. But I did find this lovely picture from July 2009, as Leo and I were packing to go on a trip to the Okavango Delta. (Southern Hemisphere = Winter in July)


That's inside my bedroom. And I'm wearing a winter coat with a scarf! Which was totally normal. And ps- I believe I'm scowling at Leo because he was interrupting my perfectly organized packing procedure and checklist. Don't mess with the organization!

While I'm not quite willing to admit how long I went without bathing, just know the cold also severely affected my hygiene. (Baby wipes can go a long way.) When the hot water went out (which was often)- there was NO WAY I was getting into a cold shower during the winter. I'd rather attract flies than get my hair wet.

Yesterday, here in Dallas, one of us said something about it being too cold to shower. And that ended with a lot of laughter. Yes, it's cold. Yes, we're cheap and won't set the thermostat above 68. But we have heat! We have a fireplace in case of emergency. We have an oven to bake delicious (and warm) goodies. We have Netflix and cable to keep us occupied. So we're stuck inside for a few days. The downtime is much needed and will be greatly appreciated in hindsight!

Hopefully we'll see sunlight tomorrow. But in the meantime, we'll keep looking at old pictures and staying hydrated.

And on that note- I need a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment