Ads 468x60px

August 07, 2012

Short, Sweet... and hopefully satisfactory.

Yes, it has been WELL over a month since I returned from my trip to Central America. And yes, I promised you a blog all about it. But I think I'm going to break that promise.


The problem is, I have started writing about it at least ten times, and scrap it every single time, not liking what I've written. I often have no idea how to sum up my travels- especially when volunteering is concerned. Not that I'm ever short on words, but I just feel it comes across the wrong way. I'm not out there digging wells and saving babies, and I'm afraid that's exactly what people think. But I will tell you this- it was just what I needed.


My leaving for Nicaragua came at almost the exact two year mark since returning from the Peace Corps. Two years since I'd used my passport, two years since going through customs, two years too long for any of it... And going back out again, volunteering and seeing a new corner of the world was exactly what I needed. Living in the United States is extremely frustrating and exhausting for me at times. I love being so close to family and friends, but the materialism and closed-mindedness of so many really do grate on me after awhile. I'm not immune to being sucked into that line of thinking, and I don't like it when it happens. I LIKE being places where people have so much less and appreciate it so much more. It's where I feel most at home.


So basically, I had an amazing time in Nicaragua, and learned all about an amazing organization named FIMRC, which I will stay in touch with in the years to come.


And I had an amazing time in El Salvador, playing tourist for a few days with my dear friend Carolyn.



We avoided medical emergencies for the entirety of the trip (priority #1), and I had a truly fabulous time. Not sure when I'll be able to go back out again, but I hope it's not another two year wait.




Need even more pictures?? Check this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment