Ads 468x60px

January 20, 2011

the magnets.

My sister, Sarah, opened up this can of worms the other day- and in the interest of full disclosure, I give you "the story of the magnets."

Back when I was in junior high, I once got my hands on a set of tiny, but extremely powerful magnets. If I remember correctly, someone from church gave them to me. And so I brought them home and was testing their power by putting one on the table and moving the other one closer and closer until it was pulled into the forcefield of its partner. I believe I also threw one at the fridge a few times to see if it would stick every time. And yes- it did. These were powerful little suckers. Only maybe 1/8" in size... but STRONG.

So I upped the ante. I decided it would be fun to give myself a nose ring. The plan was to put one magnet on the outside of my nose, and the other on the inside to hold it in place. And while that was a good plan and all-- something went horribly wrong with the execution. As I tried to get them into place, they somehow flipped around and ended up on either side of my septum. BOTH inside my nose. And have I mentioned how powerful these things were?? It HURT.

For a few minutes, I sat in my room, trying to take care of it myself, but I soon learned that I would need some help with this predicament. They were squeezing HARD, and each second that ticked by led to even more pain. So, as my eyes began to water, I walked out into the kitchen... where I had to announce to my entire family what a moron I was. As the rest of the family rolled on the floor, wiping away tears of laughter, Dad sprang into action. When fingers couldn't pry them apart, he ran for the pliars. And to this day, I'm very glad that no cameras were present. I can only imagine what that looked like... A set of pliars in each hand, digging around in my nose, trying to get ahold of those stupid little magnets. But he did, eventually, prevail!

I don't know what ever happened to those little magnets, but trust me - an invaluable lesson was learned by all who were present that day.

The end.

3 comments:

Tina Rischbieter said...

this made me smile, with a side of relief that the story didn't involve you swallowing a magnet!

I love it.

Faith said...

I literally ROFL! How funny! You crack me up!

Anonymous said...

Ha, somehow this doesn't surprise me. Wish I coulda seen that :)

Post a Comment