Ads 468x60px

August 07, 2011

Silver Lining.

I wasn't having such a great day on Friday. In fact, it was one of the worst days of work I've ever had.
 
 
Between the physical abuse inflicted by patients, a code blue that did ultimately end well but was not fun to endure, and the other multiple CRA-ZY people we're currently taking care of on the unit... it was not good. I literally skipped down the hallway after clocking out and even teared up a little as the elevator doors closed. Before I had even made it to the hospital lobby, I had made a decision to stop and get wine & ice cream for dinner. (Leo was working late and couldn't force me to eat normally.)
 
 
But as I made it to the front doors of the hospital, I stopped. There was a new Mom being loaded into the front seat of a car by her nurse, and the Dad was trying frantically to snap the carseat into its holder in back. It was one of the cutest things I have ever seen, and as I waited for the shuttle to take me to my car, I couldn't help but smile as I watched them. Parkland has one of the busiest labor & delivery units in the country. (They go back & forth for #1 with Los Angeles) They deliver about 16,000 babies a year, but we very rarely get to see them.
 
 
 
And that night, it was a good reminder. Someone had a wonderful day. Someone had the best day of their life so far, or even the FIRST day of their life! Yes, mine still sucked. But it didn't ultimately matter.
 
 
 
It was nice to get some perspective, but I did still eat wine & ice cream for dinner. And it was delicious.

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

Love the perspective here. To me, its always a bit humbling to get those reminders.

Post a Comment