Ads 468x60px

August 03, 2011

The Great Purge of 2011.


"Living More, With Less"

I love that quote. I think it sums up my ideal lifestyle perfectly.
I'm not big on stuff. We live in an apartment that's less than 650 square feet, and most people would probably come in and still think it's pretty empty. Cozy, but definitely not over-packed or especially decorated. And we LOVE that. I do enjoy color, so there's plenty of that, but as for picture frames everywhere, or random little sit-arounds... if it's there, we know exactly where it came from and what the story is behind it. If it doesn't have sentimental value,and serves no actual purpose, it's probably not in our home.

I don't know that I'll ever earn the true title of "minimalist" and that's ok with me. But I like to try.

And one major reason for that: flexibility. At this point, I really don't see Leo & I ever "settling" just one place. We're pretty nomadic, and living with fewer physical possessions makes that much easier. We have a beautiful apartment, with very nice furnishings, but all of it could be easily sold or donated within hours and we could be on our way in a matter of days if necessary. Buying a house just seems so permanent... and not for us right now.

We do have a small storage closet out on the patio that holds certain items like camping/travel gear, a cat carrier & moving boxes. But other than that- if something hasn't been used or worn in the past year, it's gotta go. And that's been part of my 3 days off this week! Purging. Now, I'm not going crazy about it... but it never hurts to prune. Do I really need to keep that pair of Dr Martens boots that I've had since 8th grade and keep convincing myself I'll wear at some point? Um, no. Or the extra dish towels that don't even fit into our one little "kitchen linen" drawer? Definitely not. And it's good to remind myself of that.
We've got what we need. There's not much space for anything else. And that makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment